Ways to Identify Your Child’s Primary Love Language:
- Observe how your child expresses love to you.
- Observe how your child express love to others.
- Give your child a choice between two options, and see what they most frequently choose.
- When reading books, ask your child, “How do you know that the mommy or daddy loves that little boy or little girl?”
- Experiment over the period of a week by intentionally showing love in each of the five ways and gauging their responses.
- Ask them about some of the ways parents show love.
Ideas to Implement Each of the Love Languages with Your Child
Acts of Service
Paint their nails, fix their favorite food, or help them with a special project.
Go on a walk, play a game, ride bikes or read books together, eat a meal or grab coffee, or plan a special outing with the child one-on-one.
Words of Affirmation
Sincerely compliment your child and notice their accomplishments verbally. For example, “I love the way you helped your sister,” or “I appreciate your hard work.”
Pick a flower for them, draw a picture for them, or surprise them with something they love.
Cuddle on the couch, hold hands, give bear hugs and piggyback rides, or let them sit in your lap.
Parents have the opportunity to give a wonderful gift – the gift of learning their child’s love language and speaking it often. That will truly say, “I love you.”